Friday, December 19, 2008

Finally, some action

Been pretty quiet - believe it or not, Brisbane's populace has been pretty well behaved. Suspect it's a combination of ridiculously early Saturday starts and weekday rides done mostly on bike paths.

So, today...

A lass driving some red Korean bucket of rubbish that somehow managed to power itself up Ganges Street in West End decided to pull alongside me and then turn left across me into Hardgrave Road despite me clearly indicating I was turning right into Dornoch Terrace. Obviously on her way to rescue orphans from a fire or something. I mean, too bad if I hadn't seen her and just went straight ahead - that would have been an interesting discussion.

So, having rolled me eyes on that one, we had a real highlight in Graceville, where Graceville Avenue meets Oxley Road. Guy in a fearfully coloured metallic green HSV ute (I mean, what the fuck?! Who seriously buys one of these things? Can't you afford a bloody sedan? Especially in that shit colour - try explaining that at resale time, dickhead!) decides he actually wants to turn left into Oxley Road, which is a shame since he's sitting at the lights where it's right turn only. So, rather than, you know, wait, or even, I dunno, look in his mirrors or some shit, puts it in reverse (obviously not co-ordinated enough to drive a manual) as I approach the intersection at some speed) backs up far enough to clear the the kerbing, puts it in drive and then jams it in the left turn lane just as I arrive. So I stick it up the left of him (fuck him, I'm not slowing down - he can explain what he did to the police) and we go around the left turn together. I'm quite deliberately in his blind spot so he's kind of just rolling, since he's got no idea where I am (nothing new there then) and then when I get in front he decides to nail it and get away from the scene of his embarrassment.

Sadly he got through the next set of lights - I was looking forward to discussing it at the red light.

Classic example of how things can suddenly escalate - you make one fuck-up, and flustered, you make another one, and then another one, and suddenly you've got an accident and someone's hurt. Remember that if you're on the roads over Xmas.

Not that Xmas is the most dangerous time on the roads, despite the bullshit the pollies and the media feed you. Friday and Saturday nights are much more dangerous - the liquour industry won't be sharing that one. Yes, that means the whole double demerit points thing over long weekends and holidays is utter crap.

2 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Blogger goooooood girl said...

your blog is very fine......

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger vat_man said...

Almost as good as your spam. Kindly fuck off, big hairy Russian or skinny Nigerian, and take your poke site with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home